You are not connected. Please login or register

A Stitch in Time (Major Mission/Needle and Thread)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Aka Hanako

Aka Hanako
'Ever since I was a little girl, I couldn't bear to stay still for very long. I guess it's one of the side-effects of living on an island so small. I always wanted to explore, to move, to see everything that I was able to do and then push that to the very limit. I learned a lot in those youthful years of exploration, but my restlessness never quite dissipated, no matter how old I got. So then...

Why the hell did I think it would be a good idea to learn how to sew?!?!'

Aka sat in a circle with several others, primarily women and most of which were older than she was, significantly in fact. That being said, this was a class that she had taken after all, meaning that all of these people were taking the class. However, Light-speed Laura off to the corner has patched together half of a quilt already, leading Aka to have her suspicions that some of these individuals were here for reasons other than learning the elements of sewing and stitching fabrics together.

Those suspicions were only further confirmed by the fact that Bowl-cut Betty has been talking throughout most of the session about how hard her job as a secretary at a printing company was. Aka actually was a bit annoyed about that honestly, considering that this woman didn't know what a hard job was really like. Take a walk in her own shoes and that damn Betty would really know what hard was. Oh no... Aka was becoming her mother...

This daydreaming eventually burdened her work ethic, to the point that she had stopped paying attention to where she was moving the needle. That is to say, she stopped paying attention until she was suddenly met by a sharp sting into the center of her index finger. Aka gasped sharply, reflexively bringing her finger up to her mouth and garnering some serious attention from those surrounding her. Concerned expression, and even a few empathetic coos suddenly filled the room, leaving Aka feeling an odd mixture of annoyance and embarrassment.

"Are you okay?" "Be more careful sweetie." "I hope that doesn't scar, your hands are so pretty."

Blech...

"I'm fine, it's nothing at all." Aka tried to assure them so that they would shut up, but it took several minutes of repeating the same hollow assurances before they could finally move on.

Aka actually had been about to raise her aura, just to stop the bleeding instantly, but realized that they'd be able to see that. And if this group saw that, oh there would just be absolutely no end to question after stupid question. Hell, one of them would probably say how pretty the color was and tell her to show it more often. Betty...

For now, she waited until the bleeding could be reasonable assumed to stop before resuming where she left off, working on her cross stitches. If she could just finish up a pair of socks, then she'd have a reasonable set of logic for getting up and moving around, maybe even leaving. She was on the academy's time after all, and all she really needed to do was prove that she could stitch.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

The clock was more pleasant to listen to than any of this prattling on, to the point that Aka had stopped listening to them entirely. Suddenly, she was reminded why she had decided to do this in the first place, and she began to repeat it in her head a bit. She wanted to do this for the academy, she wanted to keep the students safe if something happened, she wanted to get ahead in her job. Aka reminded herself of those reasons over, and over, and over again, and stared at the fabric as she looped stabbed and jabbed.

She swore she was being driven insane here and suddenly she had an epiphany of some kind. Why had she not gone to the academy physician and gotten actual instruction on this in an actual medical class? That had to be interesting, right? Much more than this at least. This was painful, staggeringly painful. Aka was getting a migraine and wondered if there would be any way to speed this along, but the more she considered, the more she realized that there was only one way she was getting out of this. Sew hard, sew fast, and sew well.

Aka rolled her neck, and cracked her fingers before focusing her efforts at the task at hand. She began to sew with all of her might, and all of her mental capabilities, rolling the needle over, under, over and under again. It was a long and tedious effort, but one that she knew she could do if she set her mind to it, heaven's sake, she did paperwork day and night whenever she was on shift and she somehow managed to make do every time then. How could this be any different then?

Well, for one she didn't have the mother hens consistently clucking in her ear as though one of them had mistakenly claimed to see a fox hours ago and were still going on. That was beside the point though, the point was that if she could do that work then she could do this work just as easily, if not more so. Aka was determined, determined to get out of this pit of despair that one named sewing class.

Her mind was numbed, and her hands stung, yet she soldiered on. She ran her mind with thoughts of what she could do with her time when she was out of here, thoughts of the beach ran through her mind, just as thoughts of the mountain, or even thoughts of the springs. This spurred her on to new levels, and a level of focus so deadly that she didn't even notice that all of the other members of the class were staring. Suddenly, she was out of thread and she laced the final knot.

Aka was done, tugging on the socks a few times to make sure they were tight. Only when she was sure did she bolt out the door, shouting excitedly as she fled her torture.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum