You are not connected. Please login or register

Phantom In The Library (Closed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:36 am

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Smooth palms gently sifted through old tomes, as if simply touching them was enough for the student to understand their contents. The books’ bindings seemingly held together by mere minuscule threads. As gentle hands passed over them however life was partially restored to the old texts. Granted, the worker could not turn back time and restore the books to their former glory, but a silky touch and their bindings were made all the stronger. She smiled fondly upon them, three high stacked piles of books beside her. Arranged and alphabetised to the librarian’s likings. That adorable little bat faunus was such a dear~ Not in a literal sense of course.

She let out a honeysuckle chuckle at her own little pun. Stretching slightly at the desk. She was stood at one of many on that cool summer evening, but not among many. Her combed furred lower half gently lowered to the carpeted ground, legs like castle walls around her. Thorax like a large beanbag.

With her only considered family locked up in Atlas prison the summer holidays weren’t quite to her what they were to many others. To this faunus girl they were rather more a time of solitude and learning, as opposed to that of jubilation and kinship. With the school now close to empty she was far more free to move, dreams of summer tutoring or at the very least some peace and time to read. To advance her medical expertise and semblance proficiency.

There was however... another matter she wished to delve into. As she brought down a book relating to that very subject she began to read. An old weathered Grimm Studies Textbook by a V. Ralf. This tome seemed to delve deeply into the theoretical nature of Grimm evolution. How over time new forms of grimm will emerge and the older grimm will, on occasion, be replaced by superior versions. Much like the Beowulf Alpha and Ursa Major are to their respective subspecies.

She closed the book however, quickly discovering that the book was wholly that. Hypotheticals. Little in the way of actual Grimm anatomy and behaviour, more rantings and theories about their existence and growth. She closed the book, using her ghostly coloured semblance to mend the book’s spine, and set it upon a pile.

The sun had begun to gently set, but she planned to remain here for the night; having convince the lovely librarian that she would keep things safe. As lonely as she knew it would be, watching some of the last students clear out, the large spider faunus would not have minded some company for the night. She looked to the pile on her left, the pile of books yet to fix, still near five times that of what she had fixed already.

The longing for companionship gently twanged within her heart, using the ticking of her broach as it's metronome.

2Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:10 pm

ShyGuy

ShyGuy
Ivory Darkshade stayed hidden from the rest of the world. At least, that’s what she felt while holding a decent sized book and remaining quiet in between bookshelves. Her breathing was slow and quiet as she was lost in her book about weapon aerodynamics. Tucked under her arm was a book on various metals and their properties, it was a little outdated but it proved to be useful to her as she was doing research for her weapon’s properties. She had been so engrossed in her book that she didn’t notice that a substantial amount of time had passed until it was late.. Finishing the book and tucking it under her arm alongside the other book she reached out to peruse another reading when she heard the light ruffling of pages and the shifting of books. ‘Strange.’ She thought. Was someone else staying here late? Curiosity got the better of her and she peeked out of the shelves and gasped as she saw a strange spider lady that looked like she was fixing books.

Quickly getting over her shock she found herself curious on what the lady was doing, who she was, and well…why she was like that. Probably not that last part, it’d be very rude of her and it wasn’t her business after all. Taking her books, she placed them near the stranger, just far enough to give her some privacy, she grabbed a chair, carefully dragging it to avoid making much noise and sitting down onto it. She gently picked up the new book, she opened it and began to quietly read about ‘Electronics And Hunters: Making Your Weapon Better’. A few pages in she spared a glance at the spider lady and decided to greet her.

“Strange…I wasn’t expecting someone else to stay here as late as I sometimes do.” She said, starting a conversation.

Last edited by ShyGuy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

3Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Charlotte gently smiled as some new books were placed beside her but did not call greeting nor even look up. After all, this was a library, and to be at one this late... she didn’t want to disturb the person’s studious efforts unless they were willing to pause them. She was thankful to have a companion of some form regardless.

When the person, a woman, spoke however she slowly peeled here eyes from her work; finding them met by some piercing heterochromatic eyes and perhaps the palest white skin she had ever seen. To some this appearance might have prompted a response, a gasp or a wide eyed dissecting glance... but having had all too many of those across her lifetime Charlotte knew it would be a faux pas. Instead she nodded her head, closing her eyes and gently smiling ; “I am sorry if my work disturbed your reading, though to move this close suggests you were rather more interested than annoyed perhaps~ My name is Charlotte Monochrome, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

She kept her honey like voice quiet, company or not she was still in a library after all. She reached for another book, but much like the prior Grimm studies text this one caught her eye to. “Dreaded Monsters And How To Best Them,” by K.J. Revolution Seemingly an old glossary of Grimm with emphasis on defeating then.

“Ah, as for being here so late you can imagine transport is difficult for one like me. And so I plan to spend at least one whole night a week here. The summer holidays are the perfect time for me to get better at the areas of the curriculum I struggle with~” She clasped her hands, absorbing the book’s details

4Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:14 pm

ShyGuy

ShyGuy
“Oh and you weren’t bothering me, I was interested on what kind of person you were.” She replied, gently skipping a few pages of her book with practiced movement.  “It’s nice to meet you Ms. Monochrome, I’m Ivory Darkshade.” She said. She pulled one of her books closer and opened it in a certain page and looked between the two books.

Ivory hummed slightly in agreement as she idly flipped a page of her book ‘Electronics and Hunters: Making Your Weapon Better’ but remained silent for a few more moments to pick out her words. If she wasn’t careful she might breach a touchy subject. She doesn’t know how to deal with touchy emotion sensitive subjects. “I can see why it might be difficult.” She said after some moments of careful thinking. “What you say is true; vacation is a good time to better understand things that we missed…at least that’s my excuse for not going home.” She said before turning another page and humming interest at the book’s content.

“I’m also a lot more curious on why you were alone this evening...” She said as she closed the second book in a swift motion. “I was actually on my out but I had nothing on my agenda so I decided to spend my time looking for ways to improve…” She gave a small smile. “And get to know a nice stranger.” She finished before standing up and heading for the bookshelves to grab another book called ‘Strange Weapons and their Stranger Wielders’.

Last edited by ShyGuy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

5Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
The gentle huntress smiled, eyes rolling over page after page as she learnt more about the beasts she would have to fight. With a slight nod the medic explained; “With legs like mine, it is very rare to find one who would be willing to stick with me. Regardless of how hospitable I am the barrier created by my body is quite high~ I am incredibly thankful that you overcame it enough to even talk to me. You are one of the kindest people I have met.”

She made a mental note of a rarer grimm type, almost Gorilla like in it’s shape and movement. She reckoned that she need worry about them and the likes of creeps and Beowulf far less. They would be easier to ensnare than the likes of a king or deathstalker. She looked up to her new companion, gentle smile glowing.

“If there is any way I can be of service then simply say~ I am happy to help wherever I can~ My expertise are in the medical field, I’m hoping to heal the wounded on the battlefield to the best of my abilities... but my knowledge of grimm and general combat skills are seriously lacking. My fingers are agile but... my punches fall flat. They’re like a baby’s. That and I have neither weapon nor armour to my name.” She paused for a moment,
“Though I am physically wesk, my aura seems to provide a lot of protection. My main fear is becoming a hindrance in instances that there are no wounded. I need to learn to defend myself, even basically.”

She made a half hearted attempt to flex her human arm muscles in an upward U but ended up lightly chuckling at herself. She knew she was far from the typical depiction of a hunter. Her chest was not chiselled, rather a thin layer of fat coated it. Her arms weren’t ripped, rather dainty and elegant. Clean of blemishes.

“As I demonstrated, I’m certainly not a fighter per say. Certainly not currently. I’m doing my grimm research to learn how to cripple them or ensnare them through the use of my semblance. Trapsetting."

6Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:22 am

ShyGuy

ShyGuy
Ivory blushed at her compliment but hid majority of her blush behind the book she was reading. When her blush had finally died down she lowered the book. “I’m not sure I’d fall under the category of…’nice’…I’m just curious and know better than to judge others for things that were not in their control. I actually find you fascinating.” She replied as she turned the page of a warhammer-coffee machine to a lamp post. She rose her eyebrow in intrigue as she gave a small chuckle. “Lamp posts, who knew?” she whispered quietly.

“I’ll be sure to remember to go to when I get hurt then.” She said as she went past the page on weaponized lamp posts. “Don’t be too hard on yourself, sometimes are just better at doing certain things compared to their other capabilities. I’m not saying not to do it, just don’t let it burden yourself too much. You remind so much of a friend of my mother’s. He’s their healer and probably one of the most armored Hunters I’ll ever know. Everything he wears has thorns everywhere.” She recounted as she paused her reading to talk to Charlotte. “I have once seen him kill an Ursa by letting it hit him.” She added, recalling the incident in her mind.

“Ah trap setting, interesting approach. Not many people can set traps in the middle of combat. I should know since chain traps are a big part of my style.” She revealed a bit of Chained Edge’s chain before sliding it back into her cloak. “If you ever need help in fighting I’ll be glad to be of assistance. Just don’t get spooked by my Semblance, some people say I look and act like a ghost when I use it.”

7Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:48 am

Roux Lanj

Roux Lanj
It was just past dawn that day and Roux had secured some volunteer work at a local blood donation drive in the capital. When he arrived alongside the other volunteers, they were given a quick tour around the facility and shown the work they’d be doing for the day. Roux drew inventory duty, transporting and organizing the filled IV bags and counting and recounting the total inventories. Just before taking his lunch break, he was able to squeeze in time to donate some of his own blood as well. Everything was going at a good and organized pace with nary a fuss going on except for an old janitor who could not help but sneer and whisper racial slurs under his breath when Roux was near him. The words didn’t necessarily bother him; words were just words, as far as Roux concerned himself. What frustrated him was the old man would not even speak to him, as if Faunus were some lowly animals not even worth speaking to. Despite this, Roux believed that the work was more important than a fight with the old man, and so ignored him as best he could. Towards the end of the day, during the final count, Roux noticed that his blood sac was not where he left it. He looked for a while, but eventually gave up, assuming that one of the other inventory guys moved it. As Roux exited the building from the back, happy with his work, a torrent of blood doused him from above, drenching him from head to toe. As he looked up, he saw the old janitor, peaking out of the window with scorn in his eyes. He tossed down an empty blood sac with the label ‘Roux Lanj’ crossed out and replaced by ‘Bloody faunus’. Breathing in the iron-like smell of his own blood, Roux’s teeth clenched and his eyes narrowed as rage built within him.

A long sigh escaped him as he decided to just head back to Syne, content enough with himself that he needn’t press the matter. Opening his bag, he sifted through its contents, making sure they hadn’t been drenched. Wasteful. Books are still dry, at least. Need to return them, pick out new ones. Probably shouldn’t return here, though.  With blood dripping from his hair and clothes, nightly winds blew past him, chilling him to the bone. Not wanting to catch a cold, Roux activated his semblance, sprouting fiery wings on his back and flying off. As Roux landed on campus, the blood had more or less absorbed into his clothes to dry up or dripped away, leaving him to feel crusty and heavy. He approached the library shortly after, walking in with eyes half dead to see Ivory standing by a bookshelf, speaking inaudibly from this distance.

“Excuse me, I’d like to return these…” GALLOPING GOLIATHS!”

His composure lost, he jumps back towards the wall, hand moving to grab a sword that isn’t there.

8Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Charlotte opened her palms, thick tendrils of white spider silk descending from her fingertips. Ghastly white aura coating the undersides of her palm; “Through my semblance I can summon silk of varying densities, stickiness and protein content. I’ve used them to ensnare before but never in the field... I suppose it shouldn’t be too much different but I always had time before. If I’m ambushed by Grimm I wouldn’t. As for armour, effective as that sounds, getting a set to fit me wouldn’t be... easy. I can scarcely get a blanket to cover me, let alone metal  or even clothes for my lower body.”

Charlotte’s ears pricked up as someone new entered the facility, but not however before her nose did. The scent of blood, dried or fresh, was one she had frequent contact with due to her extensive time aiding the wounded. Somebody was smelling very strongly of it... yet they had come to the library rather than the nurse’s bay?
Charlotte reared up slightly, rising from her seated position as she heard the outcry. Turning she was brought face to face with what was seemingly a male faunus, large pointed ears topping his head. He appeared to be freaking out in some strange way, reaching to an empty location at his side. Wide eyed.

Well, it was fortunate she had some pre-made webbing, she brought her hands together before slowly pulling them outward; a cloth like bandage forming between them; “You’re going to be alright, where is the site of injury? I’m guessing it’s head trauma as most of the blood is there. You shouldn’t be moving. Please sit down.”

She looked left and right, there was no sign of whatever third party had made the exclamation at the sight of him. Perhaps he had ran to seek help? She turned to her pale companion, “Miss Ivory, would you please fetch some water and soap? If it is head trauma and the site of the wound is the head, there could be permanent brain damage.”

9Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:06 am

ShyGuy

ShyGuy
Ivory’s eyes glinted in sudden determination. “Oh I’m sure a custom job won’t be that difficult for armor. The only hardship I’d see would be providing armor for the legs.” She reached into her bag and started to write something. “It’s going to have to be a bit light to compensate for the area it’s going to cover…” She added as she kept scribbling quietly on the paper.

As Ivory talked she started to smell the scent of blood fill the air. Her hand slowly drifted towards her cloak-hidden weapon so she could quickly pull it out and send it flying. She stopped reaching into it when a rather bloodied faunus stepped into her sights. “Jeez, man, take a damn bath.” She said as her hand drifted back onto the table.

She gave the newcomer a glance over to see what the cause of all the blood was. He didn’t look like he was injured, just a bit tired, frustrated even. “Calm down Charlotte, he’s perfectly fine.” Ivory said but still stood up to get soap and water. She left and returned with soap, a basin of water and a clean towel. “As I was saying, he’s perfectly fine, no injuries just blood.” She turned to face Roux. “So, what’d you do? Play with blood?”

10Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:25 am

Roux Lanj

Roux Lanj
No words would leave him as he stood there, unable to comprehend the situation he had found himself in. Roux had never seen a Faunus remotely similar to Charlotte in his years travelling Bellmuse or even known that such a thing were possible. Thinking perhaps that it were just the blood clouding his eyes, playing with his mind, he rubbed them across his blood-drenched scarf, not helping the situation in the slightest. "Agh, blood in my eyes!” Unarmed, blinded, and without explanation, Roux teetered on the edge of panic when he heard two voices, one much both significantly calmer than his own, but one being significantly snarkier. One hand outstretched, feeling for any immediate threats, he took an experimental step forward.

“Hello? Who’s there? I’m fine; more importantly, is that giant spider thing still here? I didn’t bring my sword; is there a mallet, a broomstick…some bug spray anywhere?”

Learning from his previous mistake, his other hand fluffed rapidly around his scarf, looking for a dry spot he could use, finally finding one on its underside. Rubbing feverishly, sight finally returns to him as he opens his eyes again. The image comes clearly at first, but quickly clears up, revealing Charlotte’s form just before him, hands holding some sort of bandage. Feeling his heart rate rising again, he froze, trying to piece together what was happening. Only when Ivory returned on scene with a basin did he have the presence of mind to so much as blink, stepping back as he regarded her.

“Play with….Yeah, because that’s just a thing everyone does, right? Every weekend, I kidnap 42 orphans and bathe in their intestines! Fun times! Oh, before I forget, just kinda curious, but what’s up with the giant spider!?”
His open hand gesturing towards Charlotte’s general direction as he breathes raggedly, having spoken so much so quickly as to approach fainting.

11Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:18 am

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
A frown formed on Charlotte’s face, visibly deflating and lowering slightly as she became aware of her fellow faunus apparent disgust. With a heavy hearted sigh she returned to her usual gentle smile, closing her palms and destroying the bandage, “You’d think as a fellow faunus he’d be more accepting of my appearance, wouldn’t you? What I have to go through... Or perhaps he’s one of the few of my kind who has seen no discrimination.

She shook her head, “Pay my words no mind, I hold no grudges. I’m sure had you known my appearance you wouldn’t be quite so shocked. I’m sure it’s purely surprise. Just how did you get so bloody though, if not through injury?”

She reopened her palms, a different form of fabric growing between them. Denser and spongier. Folding it five times he was able to form a rudimentary sponge, the stickiness quickly fading from the outer silk as she kneaded it with her palms. She turned to her friend’s basin, dunking the sponge in the liquid and leaving it there for the boy to use.

“I certainly wouldn’t recommend attacking me however, especially in your current state. You’re likely to do mire damage to yourself blinded and panicked as you are. Not to mention how rude it would be, attacking a fellow student in a library, let alone insulting her and treating her like some kind of monster. My name is Charlotte Monochrome, I am a student at this school and a living being. Not to mention a medical student with no means of attacking you nor combat training.”

12Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:18 pm

ShyGuy

ShyGuy
Ivory frowned at the newcomer’s demeanour. ‘How mean!’ She thought to herself as she gently placed the basin with the sponge near the boy. ‘Charlotte is more than a giant spider! She’s a lovely person with spider parts.’ She mentally defended her friend as she stepped back and straightened up. “Be careful Charlotte, apparently he plays with the intestines of 42 orphans.” She said playfully.

She listened to what Charlotte said and nodded. “It would be very rude indeed! In fact, I think it’d call for some…discipline.” She fought to hide a toothy grin as she gave the boy a sweet smile.” She took a small bow. “The name’s Ivory, Ivory Darkshade. Student at this school and I’m dead inside, don’t let my living shell confuse you...” She said as she gave him a gaze with blank dead eyes. She was glad that her mom taught her to do that when dealing with people. “I’m Combat student at this school that’s warning you if you hurt my friend I will make you squeal, and I may not be armed but I sure am handed.” She said as she willed her Semblance to life, making two giant hands appear behind her, floating in all their handy glory. She paused for a moment before facing Charlotte. “We are friends right?” She asked nervously.

13Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:13 am

Roux Lanj

Roux Lanj
Roux’s ears clicked at Charlotte’s remarks, turning to face her, ascertaining the lack of sarcasm or mockery on her face. A Faunus, she said? Never seen one with features quite so…distinguished, but it’s still in the realm of possibility, I think. At the least, she doesn’t seem hostile. No, if she wanted to attack, her opportunity’s already left. At that, Roux slowly lowers his guard, a long breath of air fills him as he bows lightly.

“I may have overreacted, sorry about that. I’ve been on the wrong side of a lot of ambushes and traps, so I’ve built up a tendency to err on the side of caution in situations like this. Particularly when I don’t have my sword to defend myself.” As if for emphasis, or perhaps to assure himself that he was unarmed, he reaches back a second time, squeezing the open air where a handle would normally be.

“As for the blood, there was an…accident at the Foreman-Hadley Foundation’s blood drive not too long ago. An IV bag came loose, spilled by the door. When I walked in, I guess I slipped.” Taking the sponge from the basin, he scrubs hard and thorough on his face, hiding any tells his face might have betrayed that his tale had not.

Ivory had not been silent in this time, but Roux had been overly focused on Charlotte to pay Ivory’s any heed until the two introduced themselves. As he prepared to follow suit, a pair of giant hands burst onto the scene. Eyes going wild, he drops the sponge, pressing up against the wall taking the lull in the moment to appraise the threat of the situation, finding himself at a reasonable advantage if attacked in the narrow confines of the library.

“Ivory, is it? I’m Roux Lanj. I’m not one to attack without provocation, but if you keep yourself ‘handed’ as you are, I won’t be held responsible if I jump the gun at some point.” A fiery orange glow starts around Roux, keeping just short of activating his wings.

14Phantom In The Library (Closed) Empty Re: Phantom In The Library (Closed) Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:08 am

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
"There is no "may" about it, you over reacted at the sight of another...that is perhaps a habit you should reflect on and learn to overcome... As a faunus yourself especially, if you partake in it humans are more likely to."Charlotte's brow furrowed once more, clasping her hands tightly, "Ivory, you are indeed my friend, but there is no reason to fight like this. No reason for either of you to act so rashly and flare aura in such a way, diplomacy is always and option when dealing with matters between people."

She used her large body as a barrier, taking a few steps so as to stand between the two of them as well as easing her ability to address them simultaneously, "Just what would the librarian think if she came back only to find her place of work devastated in her absence, she would be devastated herself. At the very least, if you don't care as she's not around, think what it would mean for your academic record here. Students shouldn't be fighting in a place like this, rather they should in the Lecture halls with supervision or the training areas. Doing such here could get your reprimanded."

She focused first on Ivory, "As nice as it is to come to my aid as you did, don't think you need to so fully so fast. As I said, conversation is the best method to overcome problems between people. Please, remove your hands. If your threat is eliminated your moral standing increases greatly. The other party are in the wrong if they attack, in dealing with people presenting peaceful intent is important."

She then turned to Roux, "As for you however, when people come to your aid... regardless of how they look, it might be best to at least listen to them before going for weapons. Not blindly accept there help perhaps, if you have a bad history with a person then of course you'd be in the right place to refuse... but when you wander into the library covered in blood and someone is offering you bandages and another a basin of water to clean yourself with... it might be better not to jump the gun at all?"

She let out a heavy sigh, "If either of you have retained any hostility in your beings simply strike me once and release it. I can heal any injury either of you could deal to me, I'm sure... that is, if you could even deal any to harm me enough. As I told Ivory, I am rather thick skinned. Muhuhuhu~"

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum