You are not connected. Please login or register

Don't Lie to me/Criminology 101 [Closed/Full]

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dr. Harvey Equinox

Dr. Harvey Equinox
Harvey would gently kick his door open as the sign that read 'Criminology 101' swung from the now opened door. He kept his hands in his pockets as he walked out into the hallway, looking mildly bored as he awaited for any of his students to finally arrive. Knowing full and well that he didn't need to double check on his class preparedness due to his almost eidetic memory he knew that the holoprojector was set up properly, despite that Ruben fellow messing with it some time ago, much to his annoyance. Harvey did indeed have his paperwork sorted on his desk and a short roll call prepared as well, but he doubted that he'd pay much mind to that.

For now, he would simply lean up against the wall near the door, legs crossed one over the other, only pulling his hand up to take his glasses away from his face for a moment before placing them back, simply readjusting them.

Last edited by Dr. Harvey Equinox on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jaiden Kingsly

Jaiden Kingsly
Jaiden made absolutely certain she arrived here with plenty of time and with anything she might need, although her face appeared almost entirely neutral she was personally very interested in this class and where it might lead. She was no professional on the matter of criminology, but she was pretty sure she had some of it down, some of it understood.

As almost always, she had hid her feline ears underneath a band which itself was not very visibly simply covered up by her hair. She walked in her eyes covering the room completely in a moment before she actually addressed the teacher smiling slightly and sort of nodding towards him, "Good day sir. I'm Jaiden Kingsly. Is there somewhere I'm supposed to sit in particular?" She asked after introducing herself.

It might have been because the class itself was about deduction and crime that she was paying attention to details so much at present, but she was intent on noticing them, such as the teachers stance, or even small details about the room itself, lighting, setup of chairs, so on.

Terra

Terra
Terra walked down the halls,her hair still messy and her eyes half open. She made it to the classroom and almost feel down from exhaustion. "Reporting for duty, Dr....Equiox." Did she really just say that? Terra walked into the room,accidentally walking into Jaiden on the way. She finally took her first step in the classroom,then fell face first on the floor. 5 seconds later she lifted her head up. She got up,dusted herself off,and went over to the seats in the front of the class.

Terra needed this class. One,she wants to know how to interrogate people properly,unlike her brother. And two,she needed this class to actually pass,so she really didn't have a choice. That was the problem with academic majors. You get a good bonus,but you need to take harder classes. At least she assumed this class is hard. Its about interrogation ad criminology so she assumed it was going to be difficult.

Dean Mattox

Dean Mattox
Dean Mattox had gotten up 20 minutes before class, had taken a shower, and started to go to class.He would merely arrive to class exactly on time, not a moment later. If he were to arrive late, that'd make a bad impression, if he were to arrive early, it'd be a waste of energy. It'd be a waste of the small reserves of energy Dean had. He wore a simple white t-shirt with a pair of grey sweat pants. He wore sandals on this day as they were the easiest to get on without wasting energy.

Upon arriving, he'd nod to the teacher. There was no particular reason to vocally acknowledge the teacher, as he had made no effort to make it seem like such. He seems liked a proper, straight to business, type teacher that Dean perhaps could learn from. Dean might have been a criminal bodyguard, but it's not like he was a terrible man.

He wasn't actually charged with any criminal charges for guarding the man, which is why he feels he was allowed into the huntsman school.  He didn't actually get charged with any criminal charges, and had felt no more odd coming than anyone else would.

He had time, once he had gotten his schedule a few weeks back, to look up the professor. A detective of some sorts, but that's not terrible. He was scanning the room as he walked though. The little he knew of the professor, made him feel like this was either going to be a completely normal, blithe class, or an interesting one. That was up to the professor to figure out, not Dean. Dean would just go and sit in a desk.

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Ahh yes, finally! A non medical class had gained Charlotte's attention, something not peaceful so to speak, but certainly non-combat oriented class outside her medical studies! There was only one problem... getting to the class itself. A new lecturer meant one who potentially didn't know of Charlotte's... less than stellar stair climbing and door entering abilities. As such she had begun making her way toward the class a good half hour before it started, leaving from her position in the courtyard, that half hour was running out now and she had only just climbed the stairs. Drawing a hanker-chief and wiping the sweat from her brow she set out down the corridor, just in time to see a brown-red haired man enter a room on her right. Believing this to the the Criminology classroom, and finding herself out of time, she hurried to the best of her ability... but then found herself face to face with the doorway.

This would be... difficult.

Drawing her legs in close, wobbling slightly, she met with the doorway; her front legs brushing up against the frame. Looking into the room, quite red in the face and unsure who the lecturer was, she coughed, rose and curtsied, before clearly stating "Good afternoon to you all, to the lecturer, if you wish to save time I could simply sit here in the doorway, I assume I am the last to arrive?"

Dr. Harvey Equinox

Dr. Harvey Equinox
Harvey lifted his chin for a moment as he cracked his neck, moving his hand up to rub the side of it soon after as he looked to address the young lady's inquiry. "No, you'll be fine anywhere, just so long as you're seated."

Soon following that student that had appeared to be relatively normal was a girl that first mispronounced his name, but immediately tripped over nothing following that interaction. Harvey didn't ask if she was okay, nor did he in anyway appear concerned or moved to assist her whatsoever. He simply sighed and looked back through the doorway as he waited for the next student, hoping that the last student would not set the precedent for what the rest of the student body attending his courses. Then came a student that just seemed to blend in with the woodwork, fairly straightforward and he was a bit relieved given his previous worries. Then came yet another young woman, except....

Yeah... This was different.

Harvey would bite the tip of his thumb as he thought for a moment, making a mental note to widen his doorway, but for now he waved his hand in dismissal, letting out a grunt of approval. "Yeah, you're fine, no sense making a bigger issue than it needs to be." He walked over and looked at a clipboard for a fraction of a second before tossing the clipboard over his shoulder with a look of annoyance. "Hate lists... Anyway, this should indeed be everyone, yes."

He paced to one side of the room briefly, speaking as he considered where to start. Yes. Something important, probably for the best that it comes first. He suddenly pivots around and speed-walks to his desk and hops up on top of it. "Listen up, before we start, I want to get something straight. Assuming that each of you end up completing all of my courses, you will be certified to work as detectives with specialized training in criminal profiling and interrogation. This is why, not only will this class be focused around the basics of criminal investigation, but also building the moral fiber of each of you so that I don't come to find out that anything that I've taught you was used for some selfish reason. You'll have a degree of authority over most citizens, which is why it's important that each and every one of you understand how to identify the proper action for a proper situation, especially given that some tactics use more aggressive methods of operation." Harvey reached up and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Any of you that are worried that you may lack the self-discipline to handle said authority... You know where the door is, and I'll be more than willing to supply my permission to the registry department for a transfer. The rest of you keep in mind that if I come to learn that you have in fact used your knowledge in any way that does not encourage the general welfare of your peers than I will be coming to straighten you out personally."

He hopped off of the desk and pointed over to a camera in the corner of the room with a smiley face sticker blocking the lense. "We work to uphold the rights of the people and encourage them to continue living normal lives despite the dangers of the world, not to infringe their rights for any reason, good intentions or not." Harvey grabbed a file off his desk. "If that's understood and nobody is leaving the class, then we can move on."

Jaiden Kingsly

Jaiden Kingsly
Jaiden steadied herself quickly after Terra had run into her and paused for a moment as the girl just seemed content to remain on the floor and nobody bothered to move.

She nodded towards Dr. Harvey and then went to sit down running over each individual from a tactical and investigative perspective as they entered: Terra didn't seem particularly awake, so it was hard to judge, of course it could point to her being too busy and/or bad at keeping time. Dean was just a bit easier, the clothing mostly, meant he probably didn't put much effort into all this, or if he did he avoided doing too much, might be smart, if he wasn't he was probably pretty good at fighting. Then there was Charllote, she was probably either exceptional at fighting or the complete opposite because of her Faunus traits which were far more noticeable and related to her daily life then most others. Except for the fact she clearly had trouble maneuvering in areas like these, that would obviously be a disadvantage in almost any field.

She turned to face the teacher again as he began to speak, she nodded to herself as he mentioned that they would be certified to be detectives if they completed the course, which would absolutely be a choice she could go with if she didn't completely become a hunter, otherwise this course was more...for her own enjoyment and possible future application. She did have to grin at the mention of tactics, as that was what she knew she had at least some understanding of.

Jaiden smiled out of amusement as she saw the smiley face covering the camera, but quickly turned back to make sure she wouldn't miss anything he said afterwards.

Terra

Terra
Terra lifted her head to face the teacher. She is more than ready to become a detective. All she has to do was wake up. Okay that is a problem. Stupid sleeping disease. She turned around to Jaiden. She seems like she can be a detective,maybe a good fighter too. She turned over to Dean. He looks like he was trying to save energy,unlike her. All he wore was a t-shirt and sweatpants. He could be a great detective,maybe Hunter if he wants.

Charlotte. She is unique.

If having wings was unique,being part spider seems impossible. But things like that happen. She already felt slightly bad for the girl,since she saw her having trouble trying to fit through the doorway. Maybe she can help her out in some way. But she still has a problem.

Terra picked up a textbook and slammed it into her face. She winced a little bit and grabbed her nose. Okay,now she is awake. That might have been a bad idea. Her nose was bleeding a little bit but at least she woke up.

Dean Mattox

Dean Mattox
He understood the man who was teaching the class somewhat. Not to a heavy extent, but he knew that the cameras were quite the problem when trying to teach about security and general criminology. There was something that made Dean almost amused. 'Moral Fiber' is what was going to be taught. If Dean were to look into the news and the past; he could almost guarantee that he'd find things contradictory.  

Make no mistake; he had paid attention to the Spider. He was perhaps sixty percent sure that he passed her on the way here; but that was no matter. The teacher gave him an odd feeling.

The teacher gave him the feeling of a savant. Not an idiot savant, no. He was immensely educated. He didn't give the brash feel of experience that most people gave. He knew that the threat that was given wasn't empty handed though. Thankfully for the both of them, Dean had no plans to not try to help the general public. Not on purpose.

"What could be considered for the general welfare of our peers? Terms and conditions are pesky things."

This was a somewhat serious question, admittedly. It was also a test. He had no intent to leave. He had no intent to do all of much but sit down and engage himself in this class.

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Hearing that the class should be full Charlotte gently lowered herself to the ground, backing out the doorway slightly in order to aid her eventual exit. The lecturer was a strange looking white-grey-blue(?) haired man in a labcoat and a tie. Besides him there was a rather red headed fellow, a black-brown haired person that (from her position) Charlotte could not discern much about and what was clearly some form of sheep or goat faunus girl. It wasn't a particularly large class was it? Listening to the lecturer, incredibly thankful that no one had decided to rise and leave, Charlotte would raise a hand to as a question. She would only speak upon being asked to, quite unsure of the lecturer's temperament.

Upon being asked to speak she would let forth, "Hello, I was just wondering as a medical major will we be going very deeply into law in general or simply very specific areas? When I signed up for this class I was unsure how much would be hands on work and how much would be simple reading and memorisation, the latter I can do quite well but the former... as you can see..." Charlotte would gesture to her position in the doorway; quite stuck. "Actively going on trips may be slightly difficult for me and ideally I'd need some time in advance to prepare for them."

Dr. Harvey Equinox

Dr. Harvey Equinox
Harvey closed his eyes and nodded, deciding that he didn't currently need his glasses, especially given that he had memorized everything in the file already so reading from it would be more for show than anything else. He pulled them off and folded them into his breast pocket, holding up a finger to Charlotte to demonstrate that she had gotten his attention while addressing Dean.

"A question which betrays more intelligence than it lets on, excellent. However, the answer would be broad and any familiar with Occam's Razor knows that simpler answers are correct, so I will propose to you a question in response. What would -not- be for the general welfare of your peers? The answer being any action, or lack thereof, which would benefit you while in some way hindering others, be it directly or indirectly."

Harvey would suddenly lower his finger as he listened to the question poised by Charlotte. "Actually, I was just getting to that. Because of the reasons I just gave, much of this class is going to be the discussion and figurative dissection of law enforcement and how law is applied in our society, meaning that much of this will be a simple amount of introductory work through class-time and study, however this is not to be assumed that there will not be any sort of hands-on experience or activities. This goes out especially to those of you who excel in this course, as you'll be given voluntary trips and experience time, meanwhile any of you that appear to be struggling will be having mandatory study sessions."

Harvey clasped his hair into his hand, running it back and forth as he rubbed the top of his head. If this went on for much longer he would begin running behind schedule. He decided that a segue would not be time efficient and rather to just get into his question. "Assume that I am a young student without any prior reference to the idea, and define 'crime' as it relates to you."

Jaiden Kingsly

Jaiden Kingsly
Jaiden listened intently as they spoke, thinking over each thing, and each action. How things may or may not work out. The questions asked and their answers. Until a question was posed by the teacher. It was one she pondered over often and had the answer already in place, saying it before she realized it could have been rhetorical or something,

"Crime is a breaking of a law which is typically placed by government and enforced by either the people or a 'police force.' It's not by definition infallible but is generally assumed to be morally or economically correct in our case. Laws themselves are essentially certain actions that are either required or forbidden, for the sake of individuals or society itself" The answer was said quickly and smoothly, broken down as much as she could while displaying as much as she could within it. It was, however, also said at a normal voice, which meant she could have been talking to herself just a little loudly, or responding to the teacher. It was, of course, the latter. But she hoped if she wasn't meant to respond then nobody would realize she was doing anything more then talking to herself, as far from possibilities as that was.

Terra

Terra
Terra looked up at the teacher as he asked the question. She was about to speak when she heard Jaiden's answer to the question. When she was done speaking she spoke her answer. "A crime is a act prosecuted by the state and punishable by law. Whether you get the punishment or not,and what it is is decided in court." Terra rubbed her eyes and stared at the teacher for a little bit. She picked up her pencil and tapped it against her face a couple times. Now she can't feel anything,what is happening? She placed the thing down on her desk,and straightened herself out. She needs to be at least presentable if she is going to be tired the entire time. She looked around out Charlotte. She seems nice. Might be a good student. Not that good with fitting through things. Might need to widen the door or get a ramp. This is going to be a problem with her. But she seems nice.

Dean Mattox

Dean Mattox
He listened to the others, and put his hand to his chin. A crime, in relevance to a lack of knowledge before hand? A-ha. He knew exactly what he had to say. He wasn't planning on doing anything else tonight, so he might as well expend energy.

"Crime? It's a peculiar thing, that by definition, is an everchanging thing. It's an act deemed wrong by the Kingdom you live in to be wrong. Often the case is that it's morally wrong, though that's not the only deciding factor usually. Sometimes, like in my case, even though you were there you aren't charged. That's what is called being a victim.  Often this is a person who gets something done to them that detrimental to their person.

Consider if someone went up and punched me. That'd be assult and would be a crime. However, if you respond with a punch, that's called self defense and isn't. That's neat, huh?"

Admittedly, he only wanted to make himself seem impressive in the eyes of his peers because they seemed useful in the long run.  Especially the teacher, the savant of the party.

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Charlotte was comfortable with the answer, as long as the trips were voluntary then she would avoid them. If book-study was what was required it was book-study she would do, hours upon hours to make up for this. The lecturer seemed, while not kind, a decent enough man... hopefully he wouldn't take offence if she did happen to excel in the class. Waiting for the others to conclude their statements she would then give her account of a crime; "A crime is a breach in the law, a crime may not be one to one with what I view as just and fair but it is a breach of the very rules that hold our society together. Stealing to eat is as much a crime as murder, though the punishment naturally differs. You can have a good justification for breaching the law but very rarely will this be regarded as not being a crime."

She would pause; "I believe the only times overlooking things like that is common would be during war or when foul play is involved. When a judge is bought off, the only witness is rendered silent or the like. It can only be actively called a crime is someone is tried and prosecuted. Otherwise it might as well not have happened. This is why we need good Judges and strong witnesses to crimes."

Dr. Harvey Equinox

Dr. Harvey Equinox
Harvey turned his side to the class, and without smiling he clapped his hands together and turned his head to the students. "Magnum opus, class. Brilliant start. You each were capable of capturing the prime essence of crime" He paused and walked down the row of seats, eventually getting to the end and pointing at Jaiden.

"However, you each also did something else. You each tacked on a bit of additional information, which isn't a bad thing.... but I don't want us to drift off and start getting ahead of ourselves or making unnecessary associations, but I will give you a small lesson on informative processing. When the situation calls for it, you must analyze everything, process everything. From what they said, to how they said it, all the way down to what they left out."

He turned his head in a snap to Jaiden whom he had been pointing at from the start of his speech to the end, and he would continue. "Brevity, consistency, and a general aptitude for analyzing data, but you were quiet for someone that had such a clean and well presented answer. Social cues can be lost on you and lead you to be unsure in public. It's okay, you're a lot like me when I was a bit younger and a bit even now, but that's likely since we're still of similar ages."

He walked down the line, finger still extended until he held it leveled toward Terra. "There's something wrong with you. Not mentally, but physically. You've been struggling since you got in here, it doesn't take an analytical mind to recognize that. Next time bring a doctor's note or something so that your next teacher doesn't accidentally doc your grade."

And onto the next student. "You. Dean. You're the only male in here besides me, and my name isn't Dean so you're Dean. You fed info, you're a victim of some crime, but then you pulled back, left it at that. That's normal on it's own, but then you added something to your answer. You picked a crime, added a variable, and you used yourself as an example. You've been in that situation before haven't you? You've hurt someone before, but you aren't to blame because they tried to hurt you first."

Harvey moved on, as he understood the situation and felt no need to place blame on the guy or make him feel bad for a situation that got out of control. He traced his finger by his side as he walked over to the door, soon placing his hands into the pockets as he eyed Charlotte, his plain, smile-less face stoic as he actually faced Charlotte.

"Yep. Everyone's gotta have a reason for doing what they do, huh. There's no true evil in this world, grimm aside. No person with a black heart or soul? Expect some good out of everyone? Oh, but that doesn't excuse the bad things they do. Make sure you distance yourself afterward though, would hate to be an enabler for that behavior, especially since every coin has a second side. Law enforcement officers don't get to distance themselves from the things they decide to do and not to, you know? Any good person stacks the weight of every decision for the rest of their life."

Harvey had likely gone a bit overboard on that one, but that indecisive view that despite all crime being punishable, that some of it was justified needed to go right out the window. It was likely that one of two things would happen in his mind, she would either understand what he was trying to say or she would get offended in some way or another.

Whichever one happened was what needed to happen as far as he was concerned, and the thought was gone quickly as he walked back over to his desk. "A lot of information can be gleaned from a completely unrelated question if you know what it is you're looking for. Dean, I'll be having a look at your file later today, so be prepared to come back here at some point today. Terra, I was serious about the note."

Harvey took a deep breath as he brushed his hair back with his hand, and moved topics, once again without a segue. "You all brought up some kind of a variable of the justice system, but let's work together to brainstorm the ones that pertain to policing, shall we?"

Jaiden Kingsly

Jaiden Kingsly
Jaiden enjoyed listening to the others give their own explanations, as well as the fact it meant she wasn't the only one who'd given an answer. Although she ducked her head slightly as she was pointed at, not really expecting attention to be dragged to her that moment. She was still listening, intently so, and was at least a little relieved he was the same way he described her, which was very well explained. She would have asked how he'd gotten it, but also realized she might have been able to notice someone like her if she'd had enough experience, or was just particularly aware that day.
"Yes sir, thank you." She said simply and quietly as he finished.

She let her head tip back up as he moved on, and watched as he moved onto Terra, pointing out the physical ailment, instead of referring to her response which had been wonderfully brief but adequate in Jaiden's opinion.

His statement to Dean was, informative, although she had noticed how very specific Dean had been and originally assumed it meant he might have been a violent person, the type to try and get someone to attack him just so he could legally fight back. Now she had to wonder if that was still accurate.

She had to wonder if he'd known something they didn't when he spoke to Charlotte however, it sounded even accusative. Personally her first instinct was that it was either referring to crime for survival or something like vigilantism. Although she leaned more towards the former because of how Charllote seemed, still, in an actual investigation, she knew it would need to be deeper then that.

She considered his following words and statements, as well as her classmates, eyes drifting back and forth trying to actually think deeper before she decided maybe she should answer the question he just brought up, "Well, I suppose that would depend on the crime wouldn't it? And if it was going on presently or not. If it's at the moment then there are times when it's necessary to take aggressive or even lethal action to prevent it from harming someone else, such as attempted murder or bombing. Whereas if it's a crime that has already happened, then it's making certain of who did it and capturing them if possible. After that it's up to the law system, well, and security guards. Laws concerning police is kind of a broad term so it's hard to explain without being specific about which crime and situation you're referring to."

Dean Mattox

Dean Mattox
"Jaidens right. Also, speaking of the term guard; let me save you a trip; Harvey. When you look into my records, you'll find that I was a bodyguard. That's why I used that particular example, too. Now, as a bodyguard, I have an odd look at things. I, depending on area I was in, had the ability to police legally. Mainly in Atlas, admittedly. I, personally, agree with Jaiden's perspective upon this. It should be left to guards and the police... unless someones in explicit danger. Always in my contracts, I was allowed to go and save other people if my patron wasn't in direct danger. Most people think that it's the police's job, and in most cases it is. But what do you do if you can actually save someone?"

He was running out of breath by the time he finished the sentence. He didn't have much to give him energy around, so he just slid down into his desk a bit more. He had nothing else to say, and had felt like he said enough. Sure, he had revealed some stuff about himself, but he hadn't revealed why he had been kicked out of his first combat school, or why he actually become a bodyguard, or even his skills. He had just spoken of a previous occupation, and he was curious about what the others reactions would be to his whole thing.

He was curious, though, what Harvey would have to say to his rather questionable words. It wasn't something a man should say, but he had an odd level of experience. It was odd because of who Dean was. He'd have to come up with nicknames for all the people in the room, including Charlotte. He didn't know enough about them yet to give them proper nicknames, and that's just how it was.

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Charlotte listened intently to both the lecturer and her classmates, honestly she didn't have much to add. Reaching back over herself she retrieved a note-pad from the basket atop her back and began to take down all she could; pencil sketching intricate conjoined symbols with the skill and accuracy of a surgeon's scalpel. The only real thing she had to say was; "From a policing point of view a crime is observed in one of three forms; the intent to stop a premeditated crime from being committed having collected substantial evidence, dealing with a crime as it happens in an attempt to lessen further damages or simply picking up what remains in the aftermath. A good police officer would serve like a machine with the law as it's code, pertaining to both what is a breach and how to respond to a breach. A crime would be any breach of their code I suppose."

Honestly the man's ramblings were starting to remind her of Ishi, that awful medical lecturer she had once sought, but at least this man seemed equally callous and contradictory to everyone where Ishi kept dealing with Charlotte in a repulsive one to one manner. She felt less fear of harassment in this class than the Doctor's presence also.

Dr. Harvey Equinox

Dr. Harvey Equinox
Harvey would purse his lips as he leaned himself into his desk, reaching behind it and dragging out a drawer and pulling out some chocolates and a gumball. "Cum tamen usque cæcus," He spoke as he shut the drawer and walked around the room, placing one on each of their desks, or in Charlotte's case, hands. He pops the gumball into his mouth and begins chewing, speaking through his mastication.

"Not everyone enjoys sweets, or even chocolates for that matter, but I find that offering is better than not. Even if you don't want it, it is quite easy to pay forward the gift unto someone that will enjoy it."

Harvey blew a bubble and cocked his head slightly until it popped and he was able to wrap his tongue around the gum and continue to chew. "You all gave excellent answers to questions that have not yet been asked. Let me rephrase that actually..."

He placed his hands forward, so that each index finger was touching the thumb of the opposite hand and making a sort of screen shape. "You have focused your vision, but let's get wider view here."

Harvey dragged his hands apart and caused one of his barriers to quickly form into a large screen before rapidly dissipating. He had a confused expression on his face as he had not meant to do that, but he quickly chased it away with a slightly amused laugh at his own expense. "Anyway, you all targeted down one half of the mission of policing. To protect, but we must always remember the other. To serve. We are the first and foremost portion of each kingdom that the people see and think of on a daily basis. The portion of the kingdoms that walk the streets are police and huntsman alike, so in order to build that trust and remind them that we are in fact there to help, by definition we must help them."

Harvey leaned back against the desk again and laid his palms flat behind him. "Of course I'm awkward, but... Since moving here to Bellmuse, I've made a routine of volunteering at soup kitchens 2 days a week, and the other 5 I spend working an hour course at a learning center for underprivileged children. These are examples, not accolades, as I try to make my point. And if just the idea of a bit of community work doesn't strike your fancy, how about the societal learning opportunities, hmm? How those schools are occupied by 70% faunus children. How the homeless at those kitchens can recognize every local gang member by both face and name because they've had to deal with them on a regular basis."

Harvey really hoped that his students were making the connection, as there was book readings that they could do, but he'd prefer to avoid that as long as possible.

Jaiden Kingsly

Jaiden Kingsly
Jaiden was very tempted to try and look up the words he'd just said. But instead just listened as he spoke again. She was pretty sure she understood what he was saying, "You mean like making sure they know we'll do more then just fight criminals and/or Grimm? Like helping people in more daily activities, even if they may appear more mundane or just extra work to some." She inquired.

That would make sense to her. It was a way to show they were doing their jobs for more then just money. That they were morally or emotionally invested in the people, rather then the job itself. It would make them appear more inviting, and thus put people at a bit more ease around them. Which was all around good for everyone involved.

That does make things a lot more difficult though. I'm not exactly the greatest, uh, socializer there is. Then again this guy said he isn't either, so I suppose it's still worth a shot. Better to try and help then not and end up making things worse. At least by trying there's a chance I could do more.

Dean Mattox

Dean Mattox
He didn't feel the need to respond this time. The man wasn't wrong. Having both connections and social standing were gotten from what he explained. Dean had to fully agree with the man, though that wasn't how Dean had done it in his time. He'd simply nod. He could rant on and on about how he felt on this topic, but that would've been useless. It was just a matter of biding time and sitting around, making sure he didn't completely run out of energy before this class was over.

He, after all, still had to get back to the dorm to take a nap. He wouldn't take a nap here out of respect for the teacher and what he was teaching. If he could stay awake here, and not want to take a nap, the ten-odd minute walk to the class would have been worth taking in the end. But alas, he'd let his classmates do explanations. He had ignored the chocolate in front of him, for now. He'd touch on that later.

Charlotte Monochrome

Charlotte Monochrome
Charlotte wasn't one to eat in such a serious public setting so she opted to place the chocolate in her basket rather than consume it openly. The lecturer was right about one thing, he was very awkward; running his mouth but seemingly with little idea where to. In all honesty, despite all the notes she was taking; she felt as though she was getting far more of an explanation into the lecturers morals and ethics rather than say... Criminology itself. Unlike the lecturers thoughts Charlotte would have much preferred the book readings to this style of lecture.

Thinking for a moment, having what she thought was a rough idea of what he meant, she built off of the brown haired girl's statement; "Not only that but through direct interaction, particularly with the young, you can affect the chance of crime occurring in the first place. If you give them a good life or teach them they won't have much reason to turn to crime, it makes the actual policing easier because there is less to police... it's like rather than pulling people out of a flowing river you put up barriers to prevent them from falling into the river at all."

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum